Panasonic DMC-L10 vs Olympus E-510 Per-Pixel Sharpness

One of the things I've noticed about images from my Olympus E-410 is that they display less "per-pixel" sharpness than those from my Canon 5D. I can attribute this in part to the fact that I use some nice primes with the 5D, whereas I use only the "Standard" class of Olympus glass on my E-410. The weak anti-aliasing filter on the 5D is another likely factor. However, I have wondered whether the Canon's larger pixels were a bit easier on the resolving ability of the lens, since I noticed a step up in sharpness going from the 30D to the 5D. By comparison, all Four Thirds sensors have quite a high pixel density, and I wasn't sure whether Four Thirds glass could deliver the resolution to match. The recent Panasonic DMC-L10 review at DPReview has nicely addressed this issue. Compared to the E-510, which shares the same sensor as my E-410, the L10 sensor appears to deliver superior per-pixel sharpness. See the comparison here. All crops in that comparison were processed identically from RAW, and the excellent Olympus ZD 50mm macro was used on both bodies. The L10 crops show the sort of resolution I have come to expect from the 5D, so I have concluded that the Olympus glass is up to the task. Hopefully the next generation super-compact body from Olympus will have a similar sensor to the one in the L10, In my case, it doesn't matter much given my choice of lenses. The 14-42mm kit lens, which I love, is well matched to the abilities of the E-410 sensor.

Posted by Amin

 
Copyright 2007 | Andreas08v2 by GeckoandFly and TemplatesForYou | Design by Andreas Viklund
TFY Burajiru