Ten Recommended Compacts: Number 10

Inspired by The Online Photographer, who have begun a countdown of their T.O.P. Ten Recommended Cameras, I thought I'd offer a list of ten recommended compact cameras.

My search for the perfect compact has taken me back and forth between digital and film. In terms of size, I've used everything that could be considered compact, from the smallest of subcompacts to the most compact of DSLRs.

For the next 10 days beginning today, I'll be listing one recommended compact daily. Other than as noted, I've extensively used every camera on this list. Remember that this list is a personal one in every respect, and I haven't quite tried every compact there is to try, so don't take it to heart if your favorite compact doesn't "make it"!

#10 on my list is the Canonet QL17 GIII, shown here in the uncommon black finish next to a modern counterpart, the Canon G7:




Photo by Ken Ko, used with permission

The QL17 GIII, introduced in 1972, is a compact 35mm film rangefinder camera with a fixed 40mm f/1.7 lens. According to Steven Gandy of CameraQuest, over 1.2 million of these were sold between 1972 and 1982.

If you are looking for your first rangefinder camera experience, I can strongly recommend these inexpensive, sturdy little cameras. Notice that I didn't say light. On the contrary, these Canonets have suprising heft. They are built to last, usually requiring little more than a fresh set of batteries and light seals to function properly after decades of use.

The 40mm lens on the QL17 GIII is very sharp, even wide open. Bokeh can be harsh with the lens wide open, something that holds true for most fast lenses, but tames nicely after stopping down even slightly.

The QL17 GIII has a nice clear, bright viewfinder and reasonably crisp rangefinder patch. Those who have grown up with the niceties of digital automation will find comfort in the shutter priority auto exposure capability of the the QL17 GIII. It does not have an aperture priority mode.

The one negative to this camera is that it made to use the PX625 mercury battery, no longer available in the US. I used mine with the PX625A alkaline battery, and although this can throw off the exposure a bit, I found it worked very well overall. Alternately one can buy a camera which has been properly adjusted for the slightly different batteries.

I recommend hink2u on Ebay as a reseller of restored Canonets for a reasonable price.

More information on the Canonet QL17 GIII:
Stephen Gandy's CameraQuest
Camerapedia.org

Posted by Amin

 
Copyright 2007 | Andreas08v2 by GeckoandFly and TemplatesForYou | Design by Andreas Viklund
TFY Burajiru