Ten Recommended Compacts: Number 7

As I mentioned at the outset, the idea for this list came from an ongoing list of recommended cameras by Mike Johnston at The Online Photographer.  I didn't anticipate that a list of "serious compacts" would have much in common with a list of ten recommended cameras (compact or otherwise) at T.O.P.

Mike is five cameras deep into his list, and if any of you haven't been following over there (and you ought to be), guess how many of those cameras can be considered to be compact?  From my standpoint, the answer is all five of them.  In fact, I had considered each and every one of those cameras for the list on this site!  I still plan to cover the same list I had in mind despite some possible overlap, but I thought I should explain myself to make it clear that I had no intention to copy anything beyond the idea of putting forth a list of recommended cameras.  I can't help the apparent fact that the smaller cameras tend to be the most recommendable amongst all cameras! 

Now back to our list. Number 7 is the Ricoh GR Digital II.



I struggled with which GRD to put on the list and where. Either one of those cameras could easily be number one on the list depending on the needs of the photographer seeking a recommendation. However, neither is likely to be the best choice for the majority of users seeking an advanced compact.

The original GRD is sometimes available for much lower prices than the GRD II on the used market, but even if priced equally, there are those who would prefer the original. In-camera JPEGs from the original GRD have a unique, almost gritty character, and signature colors. To see what I mean, browse GRD photos using the Flickr camera finder (link). By comparison, the in-camera JPEGs from the GRD II look watered down, particularly at high ISO. Yet the GRD II is superior for the RAW shooter, offering a RAW buffer to diminish shot-to-shot time in RAW, as well as overall better sensor technology for cleaner files. For that reason, I decided on the newer model for inclusion on this list.

The GRD II has a sharp, very low distortion, flare resistant 28mm equivalent prime lens. It is a very compact, extremely well made camera thats feel terrific in the hand and offers class leading controls. As I suggested in the full review, this is a camera that compels you to go make photographs.

Ricoh GR Digital II - $540 from Adorama via Amazon

Posted by Amin

 
Copyright 2007 | Andreas08v2 by GeckoandFly and TemplatesForYou | Design by Andreas Viklund
TFY Burajiru