Leica X1: A Digital Hexar AF?

As everyone who follows rumors and leaks expected, the Leica X1 has been announced today alongside the main event, a new full frame Leica M9.

Many of us had hoped for a digital Leica CL, a smaller, cheaper version of the digital M. Does the X1 deliver?

Basic specs:

  • 1.5x 12MP APS-C CMOS sensor:  There aren't too many of these around.  Hopefully they are using the Sony sensor from the Nikon D5000, which is class leading in my opinion
  • Fixed 24mm f/2.8 lens (36mm equivalent): Comparable in spec to the Sigma DP1 lens and the Olympus 17/2.8; a bit slower than the Lumix 20/1.7
  • Small size: Similar to the Sigma DP2 and a touch smaller than the GF1 and E-P1
  • Quiet shutter: Quieter than a G1 (listen to it here) but louder than a DP2
  • Optional OVF with no built-in eye-level viewfinder or EVF option
  • Minimum focusing distance: 30cm (in macro mode)
  • 11-point autofocus
  • 230K pixel LCD
The price: $2000

I never would have guessed that Leica would be first to market with a Bayer-sensor APS-C compact.  I think it is perhaps overpriced, but not really by very much.  Assuming that the lens, build, and controls are first class, I think $1500 would be about right, and I expect that the price will settle into that range before long.

Looking at the picture of the X1 shown below, I'd have made two design changes: 1) Remove the popup flash and put an ISO dial in its place; 2) Integrate exposure compensation in the shutter speed dial as is done with the Bessa and Ikon ZM.  That said, the controls look terrific.  I'm hoping that ring around the lens isn't decorative!



Do I want an X1?  No doubt.  Do I regret my recent GH1 purchase?  Not in the least.  I enjoy having the ability to change lenses and appreciate the amazing EVF of the Panasonic.

The X1 is no digital CL, but for those of you waiting anxiously for your digital Hexar AF, the day may be here at last.

More coverage of the Leica X1 at 1001 Noisy Cameras, Luminous Landscape, The Online Photographer, and DPReview.

Posted by Amin

 
Copyright 2007 | Andreas08v2 by GeckoandFly and TemplatesForYou | Design by Andreas Viklund
TFY Burajiru